Thursday, August 30, 2012

New Rig

Thursday morning is the time each week when a number of HAMs meet over at one of the local mall food courts.  For the last few months, I've been joining them for a little talk and BS, as I learn more about the Amateur Radio community.  Today, some of the talk was about Hurricane Isaac.  One of our members, Jack Foster (NCUYB), received a call near the end of our meeting warning him that he might be activated in support of Isaac activities.  Jack participates in the Emergency Responders part of HAM radio.  Jack is also one of the local gurus on HAM equipment (he installed my truck tri-band antenna and power connection).

This afternoon, UPS delivered my new truck rig...  a Yaesu FT-7900R.  I ordered it from HAM City last Friday, and knew it was coming (Happy Birthday Mike!).  I've already talked to Jack, and plan to meet him in the morning to install it.  Then, I'll be spending a good part of the weekend programming in the various frequencies that I expect to use in the near future.  Admittedly, there is no way I expect to use all of the features of this toy any time soon, but it was the least expensive unit that had all the features that I did want.

No comments:

Post a Comment